The aim of the lesson is to practice speaking skills, as well as verb patterns and future forms.
Pre-activity (5 minutes)
- Start the lesson by revising some verb patterns writing some promts on the board and asking students to complete the sentences:
I want…, I’d like…, I’m thinking of…, I’m looking forward…, I hope…, I enjoy…, I love…, Next weekend I…, I’d love… .
Procedure (25 minutes)
- Explain to students that they are going to play a board game, in which they are supposed to speak about a topic for 30 seconds. To be clearer and easier for students, you can demonstrate the activity by chosing one of the topics on the board game and speak about it for 30 seconds.
- Divide students into groups of four and give each group a copy of printed board game, counters and a dice. Be sure that each group has a watch to time the speakers.
- Students start playing the game. They take it in turns to move around the board. When they land on a square, they speak for 30 seconds about that topic, as mentioned at the beginning.
- As students are talking I go around listening and checking if they are using verb patterns and future forms properly.
- The first student to get to the END is the winner of the game.
Post activity (10 minutes)
- At the end, in the last ten minutes, students write a paragraph about one of the topics that they didn’t talk about during the board game play.